The JoAnn Taylor Scholarship Fund was created by the Tom Mathis Sr. Council, PTA to demonstrate the Council’s commitment to education and to provide a financial award for deserving high school seniors within the council’s boundaries. Emphasis will be placed on the citizenship and community/ school service records of the scholarship recipients, since this embodies the philosophy of the PTA. There will be one scholarship awarded to each of our 2017–2018 participating high schools: Allatoona High School, Harrison High School, Kennesaw Mountain High School, and North Cobb High School. The amount of each scholarship will be $750.00.
The following criteria will be used in the selection process: 1. Student or student’s parent(s) must be a current 2017–2018 member of their High School PTA. 2. Extracurricular activities, community involvement, service-oriented projects, and citizenship. 3. Honors and Awards from school and community.
All funds received from this scholarship must be used for continuing education. There is no limit to the number of students from each school that may apply. Applications must be received no later than Thursday, March 1, 2018 by 5pm. Winners will be honored on March 20, 2018 during the Tom Mathis Sr. Council, PTA General Session at Acworth City Hall. Submit any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information and a full application, click HERE.
Graduation day and time are now official! Mark your calendars for Friday, May 25 @ 2:30 pm at the Kennesaw State Convocation Center.
Seniors requiring a letter of recommendation or school report for a college or scholarship application with a January 19th deadline or earlier must submit their request in the Counseling Office by December 7th. This is important to allow time for counselors to process requests before winter break.
Financial Empowerment Workshop: Do you want to learn how to make smart financial decisions and plan for college? Get hands on experience, food, prizes, and a head start on your future. Please join us Saturday, December 2, 2017 from 9 – 12 in the KMHS Media Center. KMHS along with LGE Community Credit Union will have a Financial Empowerment Workshop hosted by Men and Women of Distinction.
- Some colleges require a mid-year report. Please wait until mid-January to submit your request.
- You must allow two school weeks for letters of recommendation and school reports to be completed. Counselors will not be available during the break. We also need time to process the many requests we receive.
- You must submit your request on your yellow Transcript/Recommendation Request Card in the Counseling Office. Official transcripts cost $2 each. Please bring exact amount.
- If documents are to be submitted online (Common App, Coalition, etc.), you must add your counselor and follow up that we received an email from the organization so we can submit transcripts and rec’s. Remember to do this by the deadlines below.
- Important deadlines:
Searching for scholarships?
- Visit our scholarship bulletin
- Check what the colleges you are applying to have to offer
- Naviance – see your counselor if you do not have your code
- College Board
Don’t forget to complete the FAFSA at fafsa.gov. Find tips and other info on twitter @FAFSA
- Avoid these 12 common FAFSA mistakes: https://blog.ed.gov/2017/09/
- Completing the FAFSA is also your HOPE/Zell Miller application
- Don’t miss out on financial aid you may qualify for! Most colleges require completion of the FAFSA even for non-need based scholarships
- For all info related to HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarships and Grants, including requirements and checking your HOPE GPA go to www.gafutures.org
- Important – the GPA listed on the transcript is NOT your HOPE GPA
- HOPE Career Grant – available to HOPE Grant-qualified students who enroll in select majors specifically aligned with industries in which there are more jobs available in Georgia than there are skilled workers to fill them. These industries have been identified as strategically important to the state’s economic growth. There are 17 areas of study with the 5 new fields being added: Construction, Aviation, Electrical Line Work, Logistics and Automotive Technology through the Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG). For more info, click here.
Seniors – the new FAFSA just launched on October 1st! Fill it out at fafsa.gov. Find tips and other info on twitter @FAFSA
· Avoid these 12 common FAFSA mistakes: https://blog.ed.
· Completing the FAFSA is also your HOPE/Zell Miller application
· Don’t miss out on financial aid you may qualify for! Most colleges require completion of the FAFSA even for non-need based scholarships
Seniors need to CHOOSE their senior photos by September 27th from Lifetouch. Students and parents need to pick 1 Formal (with a blue background) & 1 casual pose for the yearbook and then call 800-736-4775 with pose #’s. They will need the session ID and proof #’s from their prints. If they don’t choose a photo, Mrs. Hoover and the lab choose one for the individual.
Baby Photos will be collected by October 4th. No specific size is required. Baby pictures should be clearly identified. An address label with the student’s name and address should be placed on the back of the picture. We prefer a digital copy of the baby photo, but if you are unable to scan or send the photo, a physical copy will suffice. Please send the single photo to email@example.com
See the Senior page for more information.